Sunday, January 16, 2011

Stupid and Somewhat Scary...but also Fun

Today was the Phoenix Rock N' Roll 1/2 Marathon and, despite my greatest efforts, I ran too far. This is mostly due to the the fact that, up until Friday, I thought the course was an out-and-back, not a point-to-point. HUGE oversight. If it were an out-and-back, the plan was to run the first 4 miles of the race with my sister and then turn around. Instead I ended up run the first 6 with my sister, from the 10K mark to the 8-mile mark, then for the last 5.1 miles I did a walk/run bit with 2-3 minutes of running for 3-5 minutes of walking. My total for the day was definitely well over 8 miles which is much farther than I both wanted to run and thought I could do. While I was somewhat impressed that I could lay down that many miles off of nothing, I was kicking myself a bit for pushing myself beyond what was safe. This stubborness actually landed me in the ER at the end of the race, the result of one of the worst SVT attacks I've ever experienced.

Last winter I was formally diagnosed with Supraventicular Tachycardia, or SVT. I have had symptoms for several years (atleast since 2006) that include a sudden onset of a "fluttering" feeling in the chest and light-headedness, both which are due to a rapid increase in heart rate to 180-200bpm (atleast in my case) not associated with exertion. These episodes are very infrequent (I only get one maybe 2-4 times a year) and random and were extremely short (10's of seconds to a couple minutes tops). Even the episode that drove me to the ER and then to a cardiologist last February was only a few minutes long.

Then there was today. I started having some SVT symptoms today actually in the race, probably starting around mile 8 or 9 (oddly, this was right after I snagged a Gu--my first ever. Maybe this was part of the problem?). This was a first in that I never really had episodes while exercising in the past; they always came when I was at rest. I did walk when they surfaced but, as soon as the symptoms diminished, I'd try and run for a bit again. This was probably, no DEFINITELY, a stupid move. As soon as I felt them coming on, I should've pulled off at the nearest medical tent. Alas, that's not what happened, so no point in dwelling. What did end up happening was that I finished the race, started to head towards the exit, but then decided I ought to get my heart checked out since I was still symptomatic. As soon as I said "heart" and "SVT" I was shuffled to the back of the medical area, given a cot, and hooked up to an EKG. Yup. With a heart rate over 190 while I was lying down, I was definitely in Tachycardia. First we tried my usual "home" remedies to get out of these episodes (coughing, squeezing the core muscles, etc.) but those, for the first time, didn't work. So next came out the big guns: the IV. The goal was to get one in place so they could hit me with Adenisone to essentially restart my heart in normal mode. Before the meds though, I would be getting a healthy dose a fluids which was more the necessary fresh off the course. I was down with all of this until they took FOREVER to find a vain. I do have terrible vains that are likely extra terrible when I'm dehydrated so I don't blame the medical staff too much but holy hell did that process hurt. They tried each mid-arm twice (the second try on the left was the winner), my left forarm, my right hand, my left hand and even my ankle. My ankle! I've never seen or heard of that and you would think something of that sort would altleast be on Grey's Anatomy. I guess vains are just too blah for Meredith and McDreamy. Anyway, once they locked in to my circulatory system they administered the medicine. As soon as it hit my heart it felt like I was punched in the chest, but then, all was normal including my heart rate; after the Adenisone, I was clocking a healthy 90-100 bpm. Great! I'm thinking. Now I can find Kendra and get my free beer! Ohhh no. I guess after they restart your heart they like to monitor you for several hours. The news that I would now be heading to the hospital brought tears and panic and demands for my sister. Fortunately they did get a hold of her and she came along with me in the ambulance , only to spend 3 hours in the Tempe ER supporting me as I went through another bag of fluids, got blood drawn (more poking!), and more heart screening. That sister of mine is a gem.

On a lighter note, despite this heart fiasco, in terms of my legs, I probably felt the best I've felt during a 1/2 marathon today. This is funny considering I haven't run more than 5 miles since my last 1/2 in November. I credit the significantly slower start pace. On average, the first 6 miles were just around 9:00/mile which is the pace I've been running at for the past few weeks. Not surprisingly, this slower running with the walking did result in my slowest half time (2:19:14, officially) but since I hadn't been training, I'm 100% fine with that.

Still, the fact that my legs felt looser this time around doesn't excuse the fact that I completely ignored my heart. In general, I really need to be better about listening to my body and adjusting my workouts to it's need. Another goal for 2011!

No comments: