Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Local Running Clubs

Often when I seek advice on how to stay motivated and get in shape I get told I should join a local running group. This makes sense in that such groups usually have a few group runs a week which would,as one friend put it, "keep me on my feet" . Local running groups are also made up of, well, people; people to run with and that could keep me accountable for my training. However, I've always been fairly resistant to the idea for some odd reason. I imagine this mostly has to do with my previous running group experience.

A few years back when I was living in CO, I joined a local running club in attempts to find a training partner or two. Seeing as I was in a college town, I was hoping there'd be a least a few younger ladies and gents that I could pair up with, but no dice. What I found instead was a group of older folks, primarily men, who were all friends with one another and didn't run very fast. While everyone was very nice and gungho about running, I felt extremely awkward and out of place. Admittedly, this all came after one group run, so it's very possible that I just went on a night that had an old-bias. But it has been hard to shake that first impression. (On a positive note, I did end up hooking up briefly with a young woman at a club sponsored event who was a middle school teacher in the area, but seeing as she was not a club memeber at the time, I don't think it really counts.)

Most recently, however, I've decided to give the local running club another go. While I'm still wary, I found comfort in learning that a few grad. student lady friends (who are much faster than me at the moment) have joined one. My (and their) club of choice? The Coastal Athletic Association. I'm officially a member as of yesterday. Just looking at their website this group seems both more organized and significantly larger than the CO group. Additionally, the CAA seems to have a members with a wider range of abilities as well as ages compared to my first group; two things I'm definitely looking for. Other major bonuses:

1) From mid-April through mid-October, the group holds coached track workouts on Tuesdays,
2) There are three group runs a week: Monday nights, Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings,
3) The group sponsors a few large and fun local races a year,
4) The $20 membership fee includes discounts to local running (Runner's Alley) and bike (Papa Wheelie's) shops,
5) The group holds monthly pub runs which entail a 4-6ish mile run to a local bar followed by club-provided apps (I think this is my favorite perk),
6) There are actual club uniforms and gear that can be purchased at Runner's Alley.

Pretty sweet if you ask me. Ultimately, I would like to be able to join a more competitive local running club, such as the Greater Boston Track Club. Such a club would give me the opportunity to hit the track again as well as to race for a team in higher profile races , two things I'm hoping to do in the future. But given my fitness, that's a good year or more out. For the runner I am now though, the CAA is perfect.

In other news, it's snowing! I do love the white stuff. This does mean however that I will not be running today. Probably not the worst thing since the post-tibial tendonitis I have on my right leg has been acting up lately. Hopefully the roads'll be clear tomorrow so I can sneak in a quick run before the long flight to Phoenix!

No comments: