Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow Day Race Calendar Update

What a better way to spend the third snow day of the year then pondering and updating one's race calendar?

After the Phoenix fiasco I have decided to hold off on any half marathons for a while until I get some solid training under me. Instead, I'm going to aim to do what I set out to do at the beginning of 2010: PR in the 10K. The 10K of choice? Boston's Tufts 10K for Women in October. I decided to do this race after talking with my friend and mentor, Ruth, who has a set a goal to run a 10K this year. Ruth started running last year to lose weight and in addition to already losing over 40 pounds (40 pounds!), she's completed at 5-mile race and a 5K. Talk about inspiring! The Tufts 10K for women is her race of choice so for the sake of supporting her and a good cause as well as carpooling, I've made it mine as well!

Other updates:

1) Reach the Beach is off the table. I gave putting a team of lady UNH XC/Track alums together one last go a couple weeks ago to no avail; many people just couldn't commit right now and, with the race selling out typically in the Spring, I needed commitments. It's a bummer but such is life! There's always next year!

2) I nixed the Saunder's 10K in August in favor of the CIGNA/Elliot 5K. I ran this race last year and clocked my fasted time since 2008. I credit not only the fast course, but also the timing of the race; the race starts at 6pm which better matches my training schedule than the usual early AM starts. If all my training goes as planned, I should be able to go even faster this year.

3) Without the half, I won't need to focus on getting extra-long long runs in which means I can add in an extra race in September. I did just that: now on the calendar is the Fox Point 5-miler. I signed up for this race a couple years ago but couldn't do it because of an injury. This was a major bummer because I really like the look of the t-shirts! Another bonus: just like CIGNA/Elliot, this race starts in the evening which should mean a better race for me.

No comments: