Saturday, January 8, 2011

One Year Later

Yet again, I managed to drop the ball on blogging last year. This is mainly due to the fact that 2010 didn't exactly shape up to be "the" year for my running that I hoped. While I didn't shed a pound nor dip under 7:00/mile in races as planned, I will say last year was MUCH more productive than 2009. Though it took a last minute decision to run a fall 1/2 marathon, I did manage to get in several 20+ mile weeks, something I hadn't done for quite some time. Along with those weeks came some of the longest long runs I've done in a while (10 miles!) and a notable drop in pace of my easy runs (under 9:00/mile!). Not too shabby, but still, fairly disappointing.

Last year showed me that I can, in fact, motivate myself to get out the door and run pretty far; something I wasn't sure about before. Running regularly also brought back a sincere appreciation for the sport. There have been points over the past 4.5 years where I thought I was really starting to love running again but then I'd get injured or bored or frustrated and I'd forget about how great running was. However this fall I actually wanted to get out the door most days. This was shocking for me. Not since maybe middle school had I felt that way. Maybe I'm actually recovering this time from years of resentment for the sport and learning to like it again. I think mostly this stems from the fact that this fall, I wasn't running for anyone but myself. No coaches, no team. Just me. Now if only all that training and new-found appreciation had turned into an excellent 1/2 marathon race. (Ok, I did PR (1:58:11 down from 1:59:42) but given how much work I was doing I would've liked to see more than a minute and a half shaved off.)

I suppose this is where 2011 comes in. With last year teaching me how to train and like running for myself again, this coming year I will look how to train smart, efficiently, and consistently to ensure improvements in races. I'm also looking to expand my training to include more strength and conditioning which'll help my overall fitness. Last week I took a first stab at a 30-minute strength class at the student fitness center. What a workout! I'll definitely be returning this week. These training plans along with a plan to cook more and eat out less (probably the biggest reason for the lack of weightloss last year) I will hopefully drop some pounds too. Then maybe, just maybe, by year's end I'll be ready to seriously tackle some PRs.

So here we go again. Take 957 on Chelsea's grand return to running. Truthfully though I do believe good things could happen this year. I know, I know. We've heard this before but I believe it for this year more than ever.

No comments: