Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 1

First, THANK YOU for all the support!  I expected to maybe get some e-high-fives from a few close  friends which would have been more than enough to hold my feet to the self-improvement fire.  Instead, I received boatloads of positive feedback from many people, some whom I haven't seen in years.  Your encouragement means a lot and will certainly keep me motivated.

I feel I was a bit misleading in my first post:  last Thursday was not, in fact, Day 1 of my self-improvement journey.  This weekend was Zach's brother's wedding and between the chicken broccoli alfredo at the rehearsal dinner and the cupcake display at the wedding (not to mention the lobster rolls and steak tips at the day-after party), I was not quite ready (nor willing) to dive right into major dietary changes.  I know, I know.  Poor excuse.  There will always be weddings and parties and nights out; in order to truly make the change I will have to be ready to handle such tempting situations.  But given that I'm just getting going, I don't quite feel strong enough to resist overindulging.

So instead I decided to start today, on an "easier", average day.  Turns out, not so easy.  I did manage to keep my calories within my Lose It! daily allotment but not without feeling fairly hungry all day.  I take that back:  I wasn't hungry persay.  But boy, did I want to eat.  And such is the crux of my weight problem.  If I focus on my the hunger in my stomach, most of the time, I'm not hungry.  Yet, as soon as I get into my head, I could eat a horse.  Like right now.  My stomach is not grumbling nor does it feel empty.  So why I am salivating at the thought of any food?  This will most certainly be the hardest thing for me to over come.  As with any addiction, I need to learn how to best survive these cravings.  Tonight I'm trying mint tea.  I've tried this in the past with some success so I figured I'd give it another shot.  With tea, I don't add any calories but still get a little flavor to satisfy my tastebuds.  It is still not food however, and boy, do I know that. I keep telling myself that if I can keep my cravings at bay, over time, it will become easier and easier to distinguish actual hunger from  my "mental hunger."  Until then though, it's going to be tough, requiring a lot of self-control on my part.  Hopefully, I will stick to it though, especially given so many eyes are watching.  I'll just have to take it one day at a time.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I didn't realize you'd updated this again. Obviously I should figure out how to get a notification when you update cause I really do want to hear how you are doing.

This is Megan from Colorado by the way. Or well more accurately Megan from Albuquerque but we knew each other, lived with each other, played with each other's hair etc IN Colorado. So I guess that's my nickname.

Anyway, I wanted to say I'm glad you're doing well and I know how it goes with the cravings. I find for the first week or so that my cravings and my hunger is constant but after that when I am out to eat, I usually have a stomach shrunk enough that I push away most of my food. I hope that has been the case for you.

I also was gonna give you some cravings tips that have helped me. If you are craving chocolate (which I always am) One hershey's dark kiss usually does wonders for me. I don't actually like dark chocolate but I think the bitterness solves the craving a bit better and its lower in calories, better for you, etc. I also like to put fruit and mint in my water to carry throughout the day because I'm awful at drinking water and i find it makes it easier for me.

Sorry these might be dumb tips but I wanted to let you know that I'm cheering you on and I'd love to hear about tips and tricks you have too.