Thursday, September 13, 2012

Refocusing

After quite the hiatus, I've decided to return to the blogosphere.  This time, however, I will not just be posting as a runner.  You see, in my post-collegiate days I have lost more than just running fitness; I have also lost my general state of good health and well-being.  Since college, I have gain 50lbs and continue to see the number on the scale climb ever so slowly.  I have developed very poor eating habits, often eating 3000 calories a day, most of which are high in fat.  I am constantly battling some type of illness or ailment which leaves me feeling run down and unmotivated.  I spend money at an unsustainable rate, usually on food or drink, rather than saving it for important adult things like new cars and houses.  Generally speaking, I've kind of let myself go.

Surprisingly, even given all this, I would say I'm still a fairly happy person.  I have a wonderful boyfriend and dog, both who love me for who I am, no matter the shape or size.  I have great friends and a supportive family who I know would be there for me whenever I needed them.  I still really enjoy my research, even after 6-years of getting paid virtually minimum wage to do it (ok so it's not that bad...). However, the burden my weight, health, and finances certainly makes it difficult to truly enjoy each moment. These should be the fun and exciting days of my life; I should be out explore new places, meeting new people, and trying new things.  Yet, on any given day, I'd much rather park it on the couch than to go anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, relaxing in the comfort of your home is certainly a fine option, but sometimes I feel I choose it, not because I truly want to, but because the stress, exhaustion, self-consciousness, and embarrassment my health and well-being issues bring make staying in a much safer option.

I've been trying to address all of these issues for some time now but just can't seem to commit.  As with any habit, the bad health and financial tendencies I have developed are incredibly hard to break.  I've tried numerous independent options including online logs (mint.com, loseit.com, weightwatchers.com) as well as  weight and spending spreadsheets with little success.  So I've decided to try something different:  make my progress public.  By posting my progress to the world, I'm holding myself more accountable for my actions, which will hopefully motivate me to keep working on myself.  With the help of faithful readers, I will also hopefully gain a support network, who's encouragement will help me through rough patches.

So, here goes nothing.  Let the life improvement begin.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it!! I believe in you and will help in any way I can :)

- Second to Kyler

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very motivating Chels! You can do it!!

Megan said...

I believe in you! I am in the same boat and am trying hard before that dreaded thirty age shows up. I look forward to reading about your progress!

Kate M. said...

I think you'll find there are a lot of us there with you, certainly myself included. I wish us all good luck on this journey! Let's DO IT!!

Christine said...

Love you, Chels. Everyone is in the same boat and trying to make it work! You got this :)

julievanscoy said...

girrrrrlll, I miss you! Please keep posting. Know that even though I don't get around to calling you I am thinking of you and rooting you on from CA!!!

Leila said...

Chelsea:
I read your post, I sympathize, and I know you can get healthy again.
I dropped 30 pounds during grad school, all due to running (and depression, but running saved me from that, too).
There is so much advice out there that I won't give any unsolicited. But I think you can inspire a lot of people, and that starts now-- not when you're super fit and studly and healthy, which I know you will be in the near future.
Good luck!
Leila Rieder (good thing we're still fbook friends or I wouldn't have ever found your blog)