Sunday, April 26, 2009

Race Report

Myself, Zach's cousin Chris, and Chris' girlfriend Eileen and I managed to make it out the door Saturday morning and to the Hampton Rotary 5K in Hampton Beach. The race is usually run in August along with the Seafood Festival but was moved this year to April to avoid the usual insanity that comes with the festival. The weather was nice: warm, breezy and sunny.

The course was an extremely flat out and back. Along it were some sweet views of the ocean and some less sweet views of the dead town of Hampton Beach still in it's off season. The unfortunate aspect of the course was the lack of shade. While the sun was nice, it was not fun to run in the blazing heat the entire race with only one water stop. All in all though, a good course to run a fast 5K on.

However, I did anything but that. I suppose that's what not running a lot for the past few months will do to you. Because of the lack of training I didn't really go into it with any expectations, only hopes of finishing sub-24:00. Sadly, this was not achieved. I ended up clocking a 24:27 to finish 28th out of the field of 77. I did end up going out in a 7:35 which was much faster than I thought I would. Mile two was surprisingly faster than mile one (7:27) though I think it might have been a little short since mile 3 was 8:22 and it didn't feel like slowed down that much.

All in all, I was OK with how things went; now I have a place to start from.

No comments: