Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back in the Game.. For Now

So according to last week's PT appointment I do not have tendonitis but rather irritation to both the soft tissue and the bones in the 3rd and 4th metatarsal region. The physical therapist said this was likely caused by substantial inflexibility of my calve muscles. He said I should take two weeks of no-impact exercise (this is in addition to the 10 days I took off prior to the appointment) and gave me instructions to do calves stretches twice-daily, holding the stretch for atleast 60 seconds and repeating 5 times.

As a result of the appointment, I ended up taking Tuesday-Friday off. I also tried the stretching routine but ended up with sore achilles in both legs. I haven't done the stretches since.

Even though I was told not to run, I still went ahead with running the 4-miler on Saturday. Zach was running it and I figured we'd run it slowly together and, if it hurt, I'd walk. It had also been two weeks since I'd run so I thought maybe I'd be healed. The race actually went way better than expected. Firstly, both Zach and I ran sub-34:00 watch time which, while slow, was much faster than either of us had planned. And it felt good; I was barely sore and winded the entire race. My foot also didn't hurt during the run nor did it hurt afterwards. This was actually quite surprising, but definitely a good thing. As a result, I've decided start running again this week, despite the physical therapist's wishes. It'll be a slow return but I'm looking forward to running again.

No comments: