Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Feel Fat

While at home last week for Thanksgiving, I decided it would be a good idea to hop on the scale. I figured that because I had been running fairly consistently this fall and walking more, that I may have lost a few pounds. Instead I found out that I had actually put on another 8 since August. This puts me up almost 30 pounds from my college running days.

Now, I didn't expect to stay the weight I was in college. I wasn't running 30-40 miles a week, running two days of hard workouts and competing in meets every weekend anymore. But I was running 10-20 miles a week and, after getting my dog, was walking a mile or two a day. I will say that my diet is not great. I do eat out a lot (despite have virtually no money) opting for chinese or pizza most of the time. I guess I have also been drinking more frequently then I had in college, which is probably the opposite for most. Not to say that I get drunk more now but now I'm more likely to have a beer or glass of wine with dinner, go to a happy hour, or meet friends out mid-week for a drink to catch up.

Still, all things considered, I don't feel like these things should cause a 30lb increase. Sure, maybe if I was doing all of that and not exercising at all, but I have been running and walking.

It's things like these that get me really down on myself and my efforts to get back in shape. All I see is that even if I try to be good and consistent with running, I still end up with a net gain in weight. I guess the only thing to do is to nix all the bad eating habits for a couple months, keep running, and see what happens. Easier said then done; especially for a PhD student who turns to food when stressed.

2 comments:

Douglas said...

Chin up Chels. Weight is not the issue, power is what matters. Ignore that scale, keep running, eat healthy, and your body will find its natural balance point. Besides, it's not uncommon (esp. for women) for an exercise program to result in a no discernible weight loss immediately. This is because muscle is heavier than fat, so you may be losing fat and building muscle already but the scale can't tell you that because it's just a summed raw number. The main thing is to stick with it, eventually that extra muscle and your higher metabolism due to training will change your body composition and you will be an ATHLETE, so the scale won't matter anymore.
- Douglas

Chelsea said...

Thank you, Douglas. That's the type of encouragement I need right now!