Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I'm Sometimes Afraid of Running Trails by Myself

Stumbled upon this article today while on runnersworld.com: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-ODD-Fox-Attack.html

The story's about a woman who, while on a trail run in AZ, was attacked by what was a presumably rabid fox. The fox first bit her in the foot and then in the arm when she grabbed it by the neck to take it off her foot.

Here's where the story gets interesting.

Instead of doing what most would do (throw the motherfucker into the woods and GTFO), this woman wanted to get the fox tested for rabies. Fair enough; no harm in double checking on whether or not you need a rabies shot. But what do you do when you're a mile away from your car and several miles from the hospital? You run a mile to your car with the fox who is still biting your arm, throw the fox in your trunk and drive to the hospital, obviously. And that's just what this woman did.

I'm still baffled by the situation. In trying to picture it, all I see it a potentially hilarious scene in which the woman is running with a fox flopping back and forth to the rhythm of her arm motion. I can't imagine that I'm that far off the mark except that I'm guessing she had to cradle the fox because of it's weight and to keep it from escaping.

What makes the situation even more bizarre to me is that the woman had to deal with hold onto a likely rabid fox while it attacked for a whole mile of running. Um, ouch? Even if she was running as fast as she could back to her car (which, I really hope she was) that still 6 or so minutes of biting. I'm pretty sure after about 30 seconds of that I would drop that fox and hope it would stammer back into the woods. I don't know if I think she's badass or just crazy. Either way, I hope she doesn't get rabies.

No comments: